Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Ending the Semester

Hello again everyone!

It seems I've done a terrible job of updating the blog this semester, so I'll see what I can do to sum it up before everyone (else) heads back to GT for the spring.

This semester was a ton of fun--as usual of course! There were plenty of new faces at the Y and in the van. The new mix was great, and (again, as usual) the fresh blood meant plenty of fresh ideas. We tried out some new tricks and new structures--I especially loved teaching the little kids about different sections of the orchestra. Maybe it was just because I love spreading the word about bassoons, or maybe it was their enthusiasm and uncanny ability to learn things fast...but those were fun times.

We had some rocky moments, too, and we definitely learned a few things about classroom management. I also think we learned that we have a lot left to learn about classroom management. Suddenly any ideas I've had about becoming a teacher are leaving my head. I'm told that they have to use their Plan E just about as regularly as we do.

But on the whole, it's been another great semester and (WARNING: sentimentalism ahead) one that I will always remember. That day I sent everyone off for the concert without me, I told Tim that it was like sending my children off to college. All the younger-than-me-Melodians: you've grown up so well. Older-than-me-Melodians: thank you more than I can say. I'm going to miss you all while I freeze in Petersburg!

Carolyn and Chris--I expect updates! Eileen--I expect pictures!

Here's to another great semester. :)

1 comment:

Eileen said...

You're making me so sad :( I'm going to miss you so much, Liz!

And never fear, where I go so goes my camera.