Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Day!

Hello everyone!
So Valentine's Day was yesterday, and today was our little GU Melody Valentine's Day celebration.  The kids were all SO crazy because they've had so much candy.  So what did we do, but give them MORE CANDY!!!  These kids had been waiting for 2 weeks for some candy, so they deserved it.  And I took the opportunity to make a lovely baked delight for the family.  I should tell y'all how much of a disaster baking those cookies were--I originally planned to make heart-shaped Rice Krispy Treats and I bought this kit with everything you needed to make them.  The only problem was that the marshmallow goo was in some plastic bag (genius idea, for sure) and clearly it wasn't going to all come out of the packaging.  So I wenth through TWO batches of trying to make the stuff, and both times it ended up being a crusty mess.  So, I had a ton of icing to decorate them and I was kind of panicking.  But then, I was staring into the abyss that is my pantry, and saw a recipe on the box of Bisquick I had to make strawberry shortcakes, and the brilliant idea struck me to turn it into a cookie recipe!  So I tried the first batch and used the cookie cutters I had to cut the Bisquick mess into little hearts, but it was a little crumbly.  So then, fortunately, my dear roomie Ali swooped in to save the day and show me how to make the mix lay right in the pan so that it would come out even.  So, I FINALLY succeeded in making my little treats.  Phew.  But I will definitely use the Bisquick recipe again--I think that was pretty smart!  Here it is in case you guys wonder how to make it:

Bisquick GU Melody V-Day Treats:
3 cups Bisquick mix
1 cup milk
1 cup brown sugar
Mix all the stuff and spread into a baking pan.  Tilt the pan around until the mixture has evenly covered the pan (this was Ali's brilliant idea).  Bake for, I don't know, 3-4 minutes...then cut into cute shapes!  So easy.

Now I need to think up a cute treat for St. Patty's Day...

Love,
Clare
President "Emeritus"

PS- I think Frank has a pretty funny story to share with us...

No comments: