Tuesday, February 26, 2008

These kids lead more interesting lives than me!

This story is way past overdue, but it will still be quite interesting and funny for everyone.  

So this semester I'm working with younger kids than I ever have (most are around 7), and two of them are cousins.  Of course this means that every lesson proves to be quite interesting since they can become quite emotional.  But in the end everything works out, no matter how crazy the events leading to it are.  Two weeks ago was probably the craziest I've seen.

It all started with the two cousins wanting to play with my keys.  I gave in finally, but after awhile hearing I wasn't going to get them back until the following week I told them I needed them back.  Of course this caused arguing among the cousins since they still wanted them, but also wanted to be the good kid who gave them to me.  Before you know it, they each say they don't want to talk to each other anymore, but first throw insults at each other.  During this whole event little Alex was just standing there trying to make them happy.  I had no idea really how to deal with this, but I figured they are cousins so I can work with that, and just remind them of the good times.  I did not know, or expect, that the good time would be a food fight they had at a FAMILY PICNIC!

I couldn't even imagine what the food fight could have been like, but they both became so happy thinking about it and explaining how they threw the cole slaw at each other.  Of course I'm wondering what were their mothers doing at this point?  And how much trouble did they get in afterwards?  So I ask, and the response?  THEIR MOTHERS JOINED IN!  Apparently their mothers were hitting them with more food than anyone else!  I couldn't even believe it.  It seems crazy, but at the same time, they have the coolest moms!

Of course though they also cause food fights when in school, with little Isiah apparently starting most of them.  For those though they do get in trouble, but they seem to still enjoy them.  And of course I forgot to mention they were reenacting the food fights for Alex and I, running around the room and ducking to avoid the "food" and everything.  When I was younger, I never was in a food fight, I didn't realize that they were so commonplace!

These kids are so much fun, and even if sometimes I'm not teaching them, they certainly entertain me and I hope they are having a good time!

Frank

1 comment:

GU Melody said...

That is SUCH an awesome story. So glad you posted it!!!